Antidepressants are drugs mainly used to treat depression and other conditions such as, anxiety disorders, eating disorders, and bipolar disorder, major depressive disorder, and obsessive compulsive disorder.
A psychiatrist will eventually prescribe a medicine to a patient whose daily life is being affected deeply by depression. If one cannot complete normal tasks such as attending school and sleeping due to depression, the psychiatrist will then prescribe an antidepressant.
Some popular antidepressants include: Celexa, Prozac, Paxil, and Zoloft. Choosing the right antidepressant can be a difficult task. There are a few criteria used to determine the best antidepressant for you:
- Defining your symptoms- there are some antidepressants that work better for specific needs.
- Possible side effects- read the label; there are antidepressants that have side effects such as weight gain.
- Interactions with other medicines- if you are on any other prescriptions drugs inform your doctor to ensure that it is safe to combine them.
- Pregnant/breastfeeding- many of the antidepressants on the market are not safe during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- Cost/health coverage-find out which medications your insurance will cover.
GenPsych, PC, provider of top quality outpatient psychiatric and substance abuse services, stresses the importance of a healthy lifestyle. GenPsych offers a Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) Program which isa structured therapeutic treatment that emphasizes balance between acceptance and change. DBT helps reduce impulsive behaviors, such as suicidality, self-harm, substance abuse, eating disordered behavior, aggression, isolation, rumination, dissociation, anxiety, depression and panic attacks.
For more information on GenPsych’s revolutionary Dialectical Behavior Therapy programs, visit:
For more information on antidepressants visit: