Let’s face it. Technology can fail or become disrupted. Read and heed the following tips to ensure consistency and continuity of your telehealth service. Plan for alternative communication should technology fail.
- Be on time. It is helpful to start up your session 5 minutes prior to your time session.
- Limited distractions during the session such as mute your cell phone and put it facedown.
- Quiet all alerts on your computer during sessions.
- Allow for delays in communication transmission. You and your provider may need to “pause” between comments to avoid interruptions and ensure accurate communication.
- Be willing, patience courteous and kind!
Computer Hygiene Habits
Computer hygiene habits are ways to keep the counseling session most convenient, effective and ensure quality time and care.
- Close unnecessary applications
- Minimize use of other software during video sessions
- Restart your computer daily
- Only open the browser tab that is related to the video session
- Restart router periodically
- Schedule software updates when not using the computer
- Keep anit-virus current and on
- Update software
- Maintain high bandwidth
Preventable Measures and Resolving Tech Problems
- Check loose chords
- Reboot the device
- Blank screen
- move mouse key
- verify computer screen is on
- verify connection to internet
- Jittery/Delayed Video: wait a moment to see if it resolves itself or reboot
- Video and Audio Quality can be dependent on
- Internet speed and router speed
- #of users
- usage of the internet
- software or hardware
- age of the computer
- Video and Audio Resolutions
- Check connections and logins
- Restart router
- Upgrade router
- Use at low traffic times
- Restart the call
- Use of headphones.
Source: GenPsych Select. “Logistics & Etiquette.” https://www.genpsychselect.com/logistics-etiquette/